Motors up to Third in table

Vauxhall headed into their game against Stockport in 4th, however have risen to 3rd after their deserved win against Stockport Town on Saturday. Mick Mcgraa’s side are 13 points behind league leaders Rylands, with Vauxhall playing one game less.

Motors started the 1st half quickly when Leigh’s clearance lobbed the Stockport defence and fell to the feet of Joe Brandon who couldn’t finish his one vs one against Stinca. Brandon for the second time, in a matter of minutes, had a chance prevented this time by Tom Greenfield’s last ditch tackle inside the 18 yard box. Third time lucky, Brandon rewarded Vauxhall’s dominance when he got behind the Stockport defence after a ball from Haydn Cooper which he slotted into the far right corner of Stinca’s goal.

As the second half progressed the Motormen continued to push for their second which would double their lead – Haydn Cooper’s strike from 30 yards was easily saved and Kieran Hamm forced Stinca into yet another save which was a common occurrence over the first-half. Hamm then came close once again this time a Stockport defender preventing Vauxhall from getting their deserved second goal!

Stockport then had their only threatening chance of the half when Reece Skelton’s shot just fired past Leigh’s right post.

Vauxhall’s best chance to double their lead fell to Matty Carlin inside the 6 yard box which he fired over the crossbar, leaving Vauxhall just 1 goal to show for their impressive first 45 mins.

Motors started the second half with Joe Brandon involved in another goal when he rolled the ball across the 18 yard box for Kieran Hamm to slot nicely into the back of the net which finally doubled Vauxhall’s lead.

After Vauxhall doubling their lead, Stockport had their odd chance however finally found the break through when their skipper scruffily rolled the ball over Leigh’s goal line.

Despite Town scoring their goal, Vauxhall’s dominance still continued with Ben Greenop firing his chance over the bar and substitute Michael Burkey’s excellently worked chance was blocked by a brave Jack Taylor who threw himself towards the ball which was looking like a certain goal.

Thankfully Vauxhall’s many missed opportunities didn’t come back to haunt them when referee Rob Denton blew his whistle after 7 minuets played of added time.

The Motors win sent Mick Mcgraa’s side up to 3rd place with their game in hand to be played on the 6th April against Abbey Hulton United Away which is certain to be another challenging game.