Second half rally makes it 4 onthe bounce

Vauxhall Motors 2-1 Prestwich Heys

A massive game approached for both sides, as the Motormen tried to bounce back from Bank Holiday Monday’s abandoned match at Runcorn Town, and attempting to make it four wins from four, and the visiting side, Prestwich Heys, trying to make it three wins from three.

McGraa’s side slightly changed from Monday at Runcorn Town, with Kyle Smyth coming in for Kyle Scarasbrick, Jack Kelly coming in for Greg Drummond, Leo Riley coming in for Simon Thelwell and Joe Brandon back into the squad, with Mike Burkey dropping to the bench. Also in the starting eleven was Mikey Dixon in goal, Anthony Gardner, Joe Heath, Tom Mitchell, Haydn Cooper, Kieran Knapper and Aaron Smith.

Prestwich Heys kicked off the game, with a quiet start for both sides, with minor chances for the home and visiting side. Just after half an hour, Joe Brandon hit the ball from outside the box, which looked like it was curling into the top corner, before the Heys keeper, Ryan Livesey, made a great save to tip the ball over the bar.

Half time, goalless, came and went, with Aaron Smith kicking off the second half. Just five minutes into the half, the ball was played across the box and cleared only to the edge of the box, before Leo Riley hit it sweetly from the edge of the box, which fired into the bottom corner, to put the Motormen 1-0 up!

However, just fifteen minutes later, Heys number seven, Jamie Hill, pulled the game back to equalise. Livesey kicked the ball from a goal kick right over the top, when Anthony Gardner missed the header, and Hill went through on goal and placed the ball into the bottom corner.

Just one minute after the goal, McGraa made his first change, with Aaron Smith leaving the pitch for Ben Holmes. Just one minute after, Leo Riley skipped past the Heys defenders and was badly challenged in the penalty area, with the referee, Alexander Phillips, awarding the penalty to the Motormen, and giving a yellow card to James Dwyer.

Riley took the penalty and smashed it into the bottom corner to put the Motormen 2-1 ahead! Two substitutions just ten minutes apart, with Jack Kelly and Kieran Knapper making way for Mike Burkey and Simon Thelwell.

The Motormen held out, and won all three points, ahead of a busy week, with Lower Breck away on Thursday evening, on Saturday, we host Congleton Town at the vanEupen Arena, and on Tuesday evening, we face league leaders Macclesfield, at the Leasing.Com Stadium in Macclesfield.