Stunning Comeback by Motors

Vauxhall Motors  4,  St. Martins  3.

The Motormen produced a stunning second half performance to overturn a disastrous looking half time deficit of 3-1, to record their sixth victory in eight unbeaten matches. From the start Motors went close but after just three minutes the visitors, chasing a fifth straight away success, took the lead through Harrison Millington from close range.  Motors responded by hitting an upright through Luke Edwards.

St. Martins doubled their advantage on 28 minutes when Dave Easthope struck their second, suggesting a really tough looking afternoon for the hosts.  But they duly reduced the visitors lead just four minutes later with a smart goal from Kevin Exell after fine approach play by Danny Cross and Edwards. However, the visitors clearly had other ideas and struck a third goal on 37 minutes through Karl Bailey, to underline their clinical finishing from just four efforts on goal.

Being 3-1 down at the interval, manager Mick McGraa clearly had a few words to say to his troops during the break and immediately they were on the front foot from the start of the second half.  Visiting keeper George Austin made a couple of superb saves to deny Ben Holmes and Kynan Mason before they finally gained some reward.  A great move down the right ending with Holmes striking his 8th goal of the season from 12 yards on 57 minutes.  And just two minutes later, the aerial power of Motors impressive skipper Tom Mitchell saw him head home the equaliser from Edwards corner.

Whilst Motors always looked likely to complete a fabulous comeback at this stage, St Martins striker Bailey flashed a shot across the goal before home star Cross struck an absolute beauty for the eventual winner on 82 minutes from 20 yards, a victory that lifts Motors into third place in the Hallmark Security League table

Vauxhall:  Lavelle, Quinn, Drummond (Mason 25), Scarisbrick, Mitchell, Cooper, Exell, Edwards (Murray 83), Holmes, Kiwanda (Brandon 69), Cross.  Subs not used: Hamm, Leigh.